The Sails Motel Best Decorated Craft
The atmosphere of Paddle day is greatly enhanced by the number of people who decorate themselves and their craft. We've had flamingoes, pirates, rainbows, sharks, dolphins, even a yellow submarine with Beatles in it. The dragon boats love to get involved with decorations and costumes too, and there are lots of them to organise. Your decoration can be as simple or as complicated as you please:
There is a special category for Best Decorated Craft, particularly so that the judges know who they have to consider when choosing the prizewinners. Best Decorated Craft participants enter the water at Heritage Park, approach the judging boat and then paddle the 10km to Brunswick Heads for the fun in Terrace Park and the presentations.
See below for more information regarding on-the-day arrangements.
Things you need to know about the Sails Motel Best Decorated Craft event:
- Heritage Park Mullumbimby. Maps
- Please note the street redirection signs and observe instructions from traffic controllers.
- Report to the Registration Desk before the start to pick up your wrist band/s and fill out a Decorated Craft slip to hand to the judges who will be on the media boat (aka the Byron Bay Eco Cruises and Kayaks boat).
- There is no parking at the check-in/registration area. This is a drop off zone only. Drop off your craft and then take your car elsewhere to park.
- Prices as above – no group discount.
- Families can register online as one entity, using the Create a Family button. This saves time and involves only one card transaction.
- All participants are issued with a numbered wristband.
- Please write your name and phone number on the wrist band at the start, before putting it on your wrist.
- The wristband helps the organisers keep track of the participants.
- More importantly for the participant, the wristband becomes their entry in the Participant's Draw. Great prizes are to be won but only if you are at the awards presentation at Terrace Park Brunswick Heads at around 12:20pm.
- When you finish your paddle you must place your wristband in the box in the Information Tent at Terrace Park.
- You must be present at the draw to claim your prize.
- Brunswick Sails Motel 2 nights ($380) + Go Sea Kayak Tour ($140) - Total value $520
- Brunswick Sails Motel 2 nights ($380) + Byron Bay Eco Cruise for 2 ($100) - Total value $480
- Byron Bay Eco-Cruise for 2 ($100) + Gym on the Run sessions ($150) - Total value $250
- Judging criteria
- The panel of judges will be on the media boat - thanks to Byron Bay Eco Cruises & Kayaks for the use of their boat.
- The media boat will be located just upstream from the start line.
- Please approach the media boat to give the judges time to consider your entry.
- Pass your completed Decorated Craft slip to the judges so they know who they are judging.
- The judges will give you a wave to let you know that they have finished judging your entry.
- The finish line is the left side of the footbridge, at the beach near the scout hall.
- Please don't use the small beach on the right as it is fragile – and you won't actually have finished!
- Put your wrist band in the bucket at the Information Tent at Terrace Park so that you can be in the participants draw.
Craft minding at end of Paddle:
- 1st Brunswick Heads Scouts will be providing a craft minding service at the Scout Hall, the point at which craft leave the water.
- Please bring a gold coin donation for the scouts.
- This service allows participants to leave their craft while they return to Mullum in the shuttle bus to retrieve their vehicle.
- The craft minding will operate from the time of the first participant finishing until 2:30pm.
- The scouts and their parents will provide all care but no responsibility for the craft.
- The winners will be announced at around 12:10pm at the Shoundshell at Terrace Park, Brunswick Heads.
- Winners will be notified by phone if they are not able to be present at the awards presentation.
- A free shuttle bus is available to take one person back to Heritage Park Mullumbimby to pick up their vehicle.
- The bus departs from outside the fire station in Fingal Street at 20 to 30 minute intervals from 10am.
- No craft on the shuttle bus please.
- Go Sea Kayak - 1800 SEA KAYAK (732 529)
- Byron Bay Eco Cruises and Kayaks - 0410 016 926 (Kayaks all gone but there are a few SUPS left - hurry!)
- Brunswick Surf - (02) 6685 1283 (SUPs only)
- Please support our sponsors:
- or visit the Brunswick Heads Visitor Centre for information about other local accommodation options.